Monday 21 March 2016

Zootopia: the film I wish I had when I was a child

With my dissertation looming, I do no have the time to pour my heart out and write a review for Zootopia (Zootropolis here in Europe). But I do want to write down a quick ramble of a few things I really loved about it.

x


Firstly the LEAD character of this film: Judy Hopps. A rabbit who is told by not only her parents, but her peers and the animals that bully her, that she cannot be a police officer. Rabbits are not police material, but this does not stop Judy. She keeps pushing forward in training and finally begins her dream of being a police officer in Zootopia. As you can guess, being a Disney film, Judy is pretty darn good at her job in the end too.

Also Judy is a girl, which is only inferred really by the voice actress (the amazing Ginnifer Goodwin). Yet she isn't a 'female character', but a character who HAPPENS to be female. And not once are we told that this character should be defined by her gender.

x
This is a Disney film with NO romance plot at all. Sure Judy teams up with con-artist Nick Wilde, a fox, but there is no romantic undertone between them (at least an obvious one).

The other thing I absolutely loved about this film was the song by Shakira called 'Try Everything' that features throughout and at the end.


Here are some of the lyrics:
I wanna try even though I could fail
I won't give up, no I won't give in
Til I reach the end and then I'll start again
No I won't leave, I wanna try everything
I wanna try even though I could fail
It's so catchy I promise. But imagine these words being sang (BY SHAKIRA!) while you watch a character who has been pushed down by bullies, sheltered by her parents and has had only herself believing in her finally pushing forward with her dream.

It's the film I wish I had as a child. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Princess stuff I grew up on but after growing up it is hard to find many positive representations in them, especially role model material.

x
But now we have Zootopia. The film that will teach young kids that you can aim high and not be limited by your gender/race/class/etc...Try everything!!!

I could rant about how this film is a metaphor for racism and go a lot further into how it is a positive representation of gender (I mean not ONCE is it mentioned that Judy is a girl), but:

1) I sadly do not have the time and 2) There are already lots of fantastic, well-written articles online.

x
But don't take my word for it. Go see it! Go see it with your parents, your children, your siblings, your cousins, your grandparents, your family.

Zootopia/Zootropolis is out in the UK 25th March.



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...