Friday 4 March 2011

No Strings Attached (2011)






Running Time: 108 Minutes
Directed By:
Ivan Reitman
Starring: Natalie Portman, Ashton Kutcher
Screenplay: Elizabeth Meriwether
UK Release Date: 25th February 2011


Quick Plot: Emma and Adam decide on becoming friends with benefits, under a few conditions; no snuggling after sex, no getting jealous and absolutely, no falling in love with one another.

Review: Woah woah woah woah hold up, I've rated a film 3 stars? Not 4 or 5! Ok, that's not a big deal, I'm actually more surprised I didn't give this film 2 stars. But, to be very honest, the cliche storyline and lovey dovey cuteness of it made me like it a little bit.
I want to compare my viewing of this film like Valentine's Day. I didn't think Valentine's Day was a great film but the cuteness of it was the best factor. I guess I'm just a sucker for everything cute, romantic and predictable like this but I think the storyline was incredibly poor and some of the characters were hard to believe. Even though there was only one real storyline between Emma and Adam, there were lots of little ones then never really got complete I guess? (Excluding the little end title bit that was not good either) there was for instance, Adam's friend and Emma's friend, were they together or not? Adam's Dad, was he ok or what? How did Adam's show carry on and how did he get on as a screenwriter? You know, just little things I really think shouldn't have been there or should have at least been completed. (sorry if I've spoilt it for anyone lol)
I don't like putting films down, because  a film is a film. Take it for what it is. So I'll tell you the good things about this film.

Natalie Portman. I'm biased, she's probably my top favourite actress I've decided. Admired her since I was 5 and I don't think that is ever going to change. She was good, not Black Swan or V For Vendetta good, but average good. When she cried, I wanted to cry with her and when she laughed I laughed with her too. So that's a good start. Aston Kutcher was..Aston Kutcher I guess. I was talking to my friend the other day about him actually and how he isn't that much of a great actor but he isn't too bad to look at so that was a bonus. I guess him and Natalie had chemistry and there were a few, real, funny scenes and lines.
I'm not going to recommend this to everyone because it's not for everyone. If you're a girl, you will probably enjoy it by a fraction, if not a lot (like one of the women in the screen, she could not stop laughing) but if you are a boy you won't like it unless you just want to oggle your eyes at Natalie Portman.
There are other good films out at the moment but I wouldn't turn this away. Like I said 3 stars I think I'd give this and 3 stars isn't bad. It's a cute, predictable, funny film.










Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...