Thursday 24 February 2011

True Grit (2011)






Running Time: 110 Minutes
Directed By:
Joel and Ethan Coen
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Hailee Steinfeld, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin,
Screenplay: Ethan and Joel Coen
UK Release Date: 11thFebruary 2011

Quick Plot: After Mattie Ross's father is murdered by Tom Chaney, the 14 year old hires Rooster Cogburn a US Marshal, accompanied by Texas Ranger La Boeuf, to bring Chaney in.

Review: Well, I hope to god this is my last 4 star review. It's Award Season so it's not my fault all the films I've been seeing recently are so good. They've been nominated or won for Golden Globes and Oscars!
I'd be lying and I'd be an idiot if I said True Grit wasn't fantastic though.
I was weary about seeing this, I knew it'd be great because of the Oscar Nominations, but I'm not as keen on Westerns as I am say Sci-Fi or Comedy. But it surprised me because I loved it a lot. I'm a fan of the Coen brothers but I'm not a good fan as I've only seen 3 or 4 of their films, but trust me- I'm working my way through them.Compared to the ones I've seen, this is very different but it's still a definite Coen production.
The story I think is quite exquisite and the cinematography is gorgeous.

Right down to the actors...blah...blah...Jeff Bridges is amazing as usual..blah...blah..Matt Damon is really good and possibly one of the best roles I've seen him in anyway...blah..blah..blah..Josh Brolin..blah...blah..everyone else. They have nothing on Hailee Steinfeld. She is brilliant. The girl only turnt 14 two months ago, so she played a character who was older then her actual age and she still nails it! She is quite possibly the coolest 14 year old I've heard of! Hailee is pretty much in every scene of True Grit and has such a big role in the film. She carries so much perfection in the role of Mattie Ross and you can tell she put everything into it. I think she is possibly greater then some actresses aged 20, 30 or even 40! She thoroughly deserves her nomination for Best Supporting Actress and in a perfect world she would win. But alongside Amy Adams, Melissa Leo and Queen Helena, she possibly might not get it, but she has just as great a chance of winning it and I kind of hope she does.

True Grit has definitely refreshed my love for Matt Damon. With his hat, gun and him on that horse, oh lord he is gorgeous. Maybe loose the moustache though. At one point I was quite startled when La Boeuf was 'smacking' Mattie Ross's bottom for not doing what she was told, then had to tell myself that it's set in the 1800s and I was only jealous Hailee got to touch Matt Damon. Another scene where La Boeuf was watching Mattie Ros sleep and he says he was going to 'kiss her' but she's too young and ugly- well, I wouldn't mind kissing Matt Damon was all I was thinking.

Putting my teenage hormones and obsession with gorgeous actors aside, the film is wonderful and everything about is is pretty. Four Stars because it is quite simply amazing but not the full 5 because my friend said at one point she felt bored and my Auntie actually fell asleep (but she was tired).
I'm not trying to put people off, they both said it was a good film after and it so rightfully is.
You've got to go with it and the last half is way better than the first although, it grips you from the start anyway.

True Grit - Teaser trailer

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...